<span class="highlight">Solar</span> <span class="highlight">Panel</span> Security

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 19:35
ThreadID: 89173 Views:2964 Replies:12 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I,ve just purchased portable solar panels how do people secure them to what ever tree,van,car. My thoughts were a 4 metre 1/4in S/S cable and padlocks appreciate you are only stopping the honest or opportunist thief but am I on the right track ???

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dbish - Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 19:37

Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 19:37
Thats what i use.
AnswerID: 465749

Reply By: willawa - Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 20:20

Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 20:20
You are on the right track
AnswerID: 465753

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 21:18

Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 21:18
That's what we use too. It will only stop/slow opportunists, but anything much more secure will lead to destructive panel damage anyway.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 465759

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 21:23

Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 21:23
So what will the stainless cable go through? The thin aluminium frame? If so you could just about rip it out without much fuss.

Paul

Paul
AnswerID: 465760

Reply By: roger ramjet - Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 21:31

Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 21:31
HI

I used same - a bit of chain and a padlock provides a visible deterrent and ensures only the most determined get your panel.

I only use the lock in dodgy/remote places. Perhaps Im too trusting now (the panel is over 10 yrs old) but I don't even lock it up anymore.
I figured same as other posts - if someones really keen they're only going to rip it/wrench it/mangle it out of the hole in the edge of the frame.
I put it out on my bonnet at Byron last year whilst I was parked in town, it was still there when I got back...
AnswerID: 465763

Reply By: Member - michael H (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 22:27

Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 22:27
When you wire up your panel allow the same amount or more s/s wire as your cable and swage a loop in the end to padlock to something solid near the battery.
On the panel side I have drilled two holes near each corner of the panel frame and threaded wired around all four corners then back through itself hope that makes sense.

Cheers Michael
AnswerID: 465767

Reply By: kidsandall - Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 23:41

Thursday, Sep 22, 2011 at 23:41
We never chained ours up when we were on the road. I figured if they wanted it, they would take. At least this way they won't wreck anything trying to steal it. We never had any trouble.
If they want it they will take it. When we bought our cruiser, the guy told us he had to put a new bullbar on cause last time he was off shooting, someone came into his camp and stole the bullbar complete with winch and driving lights. Just unbolted it, cut the wires and drove off with it.

Josh
AnswerID: 465774

Follow Up By: didiaust - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 08:27

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 08:27
We too have an SS cable but my best protection is George our Gorilla who wolf whistles with light or movement. He sits out of sight when we are away and looks after camp. Only problem is when we are home and he lives in the van on a shelf the neighbours think my hubby for ever is whistling me. And let me assure I'm not much to whistle at these days .

Di

FollowupID: 739798

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:17

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:17
Yep , I recon your on the right track to advertise by locking them up that you have something worth stealing ,, in all our travels from the east coast to the west and north we never locked up our panels ,fridges , boat or fishing gear , nothing ever went " walkabout " exept for a packet of tissues taken by a dingo at Kings Canyon.
AnswerID: 465792

Reply By: tg123 - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 13:56

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 13:56
I use a SS cable with loops swaged on each end. At the panel end I cut a slot in the ali frame big enough for the loop to pass through - push loop through slot and attach padlock which can't be pulled back through the slot. Deterrent only but will stop the opportunist (I hope!!)
Cheers
TG
AnswerID: 465804

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 16:46

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 16:46
Go and get yourself the wire rope that is available for clothes lines, it is encased in a plastic covering. Make loops both ends by swaging then get 2 small locks lock it onto the panel fame (most have holes already in them) then onto a solid part of van or vehicle.
I have mine on a large plastic fishing reel for convenient storage.

As said above this stops the opportunistic thief but will not stop a determined one as they will trash a panel in revenge if they cannot get it.

Having said all this I have never had a panel stolen in the 15 years I have been using stand alone panels.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 465811

Reply By: new boy - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 09:48

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 09:48
Thanks everyone for your comments .I priced 4mtr 1/4in( sorry even got into trouble with the shop owner because it,s all now in metric) 6 mm S/S with eyes swage,s ect came to about $55 so will go to see the Bunnings man and look for alternatives (like Dogers clothes line wire).That will be tomorrow after the Eagles swoop on some Cats.
AnswerID: 465878

Reply By: LeighW - Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:15

Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:15
Hi all,

Another alternative is a portable alarm system, this consists of a unit that has either a 8ft or 15ft stainless steel wire attached to it.

You loop the cable around whatever item you wish to secure, ie around a tree and then through a hole in the solar panel frame and then it locks back into the alarm unit. Any attempt to cut through the cable results in an ear piercing scream from the alarm unit.

You can also thread the cable through multi items, ie chairs tables etc to protect them all.

I purchased my unit off ebay, just do a search for solar panel alarm system.

Cheers
LeighW

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 466315

Sponsored Links